Envelopes Project Catch Up – #1, #2, #3 & #4

| 3 Comments

I think I mentioned that I was going to restart a project, that never really got off the ground, from last year – that is, to make 100 mixed-media envelopes, with paper and fabric.

The reason I’m giving it another go is that I think a longer-term project will help me satisfy some of my creative urges and help me develop my personal work. I want to look at ideas to do with communication and craft and the envelopes seem a good vehicle for these explorations.

My aim is to explore different techniques so I can improve my skills, but just as importantly, I want to create a routine, where I sit at my desk and work regularly, so the work flows.

Although this was the first envelope I made, I’ve had the idea on the back-burner for years, so have a few idea bubbling away…

So here’s a catch-up on the Envelopes from last year.

Envelope #1 – Fresh Start

Envelope Fresh Start

Materials – cotton, vintage printed linen table napkin, thread.

Measurements – Currently, I’ve mislaid this envelope but will update when it reappears.

A bright, bold, optimistic message to celebrate a new year with a fresh start and a new project. Features hand stitching and the piping emphasizes the construction and shape.

Envelope #2 Now Do It

Envelope 3

Measurements – 14.8cm wide 17.8cm high

Materials – Paper, buttons, recycled diary pages

Typing, collage, paper-cutting & stitch. An internal monologue of negatives and ‘reasons’ not to, needs a bit of personal advice to help combat the resulting procrastination – ‘Now Do It’.

Envelope #3 Wish You Were Here

envelope 3

Measurements – 22.7cm wide 18.3 cm high

Materials – Acrylic paint on brown paper envelope, fabric, postage stamps, thread, glass seed beads.

This is a bright and exuberant envelope, which has been made to look like a closed envelope, with lines of hand-stitching to create the flap and corners.  It began with me arranging the stamps on the envelope and then adding paint and then deciding on the wording, which was cut out with a sharp knife. Mainly I was just concerned with creating an interesting composition and play of colours on the surface. The bright colours look exotic to me and are a sharp contrast to the muted colours of home in Scotland.

Envelope #4 – Trouble Brewing

envelope 4

Measurements – 15cm wide, 16.3cm high

Materials – Paper, ink, watercolour, acrylic paint, buttons, thread, scraps of older drawings and fabric.

Started in 2013 and finished on 5th Jan.

This was the final one from last year, begun when I was starting to feel unsettled, low and just a it lost, last Summer. Finished this year, with the addition of black and yellow, which I think create a disturbing feel.

I’ve finished another couple this year, which I’ll blog about soon.

 

Author: Julia

Artist & craft-maker

3 Comments

  1. Interesting project which I wish you well with. It will give you a wonderful overview at the years end.

  2. Thanks Sue…I hope I can see it through! :-)

  3. Great idea love what you have done. Would be a great idea for a swap too! Emma :)

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *.


%d bloggers like this: